Saturday, July 24, 2010

Tool #7 Digital Storytelling

I created a Photo Story of my life in Paraguana Peninsula in Venezuela where I was born and raised. I included pictures of significance to me like places I visited frequently, the church where I was married and the grade school I attended and worked. I wrote out a dialogue to accompany the slide show, but the program isn't recognizing my voice. I attempted to download the slide show to the blog, but it isn't working either. Any ideas??

I enjoyed creating my video and I'm sure the kids will too. Digital Storytelling is an excellent tool for the teacher to introduce, summarize and review concepts.
The students could collaboratively write and create their own digital story to explain or review concepts too. They would learn how to research information, identify the main ideas, and summarize it in their own words. As the students create their presentations they are engaged in their own learning and will feel motivated. Because this is a collaborative effort students will be able to edit their classmates' writing, thus improving their reading and writing skills.

For my first graders, I would initially ask them to make a digital story on a topic that is personal and familiar to them. For example: Create a video on your favorite vacation place.

3 comments:

  1. I had to upload my video to Flickr in order to be able to upload it to the blog, so you could try that out, but it will only upload 90 seconds of your video. As far as dialogue, I had to adjust my volume manually for the internal microphone, because the default settings established by photostory did not work. So you could try those things out and see how it goes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love digital storytelling!! What a great way to get the students to engage in their writing.

    I think it would be great to use during the first weeks in school when the kids are learning about on another. It would be a wonderful way to see how creative and unique each individual student is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally did it!! You are welcome to view my slide show now :)

    ReplyDelete